The subject matter of this post is pretty obvious. It involves a whole lot of this:
and us not doing ANY of it! You may remember us telling you that there was a little, um, FLOOD that had taken over the house before we purchased it. When we first saw it, we knew the floors would need some work. Our plan was to have them refinished with a simple coat of poly to keep their charm. Well, the flooring subcontractor came in and did some poking around and found that some of the water stains were too dark (black) and deep to sand out. The best solution would be to stain all the floors to mask the few dark spots in the living room and master bedroom. We decided to go with the color ‘Jacobean’ because it offered a more uniform color with less visible wood grain. It’s quite different from our original vision for the house, a bit more contemporary with the darker floors, but honestly, probably closer to what we really wanted in our home. There was a slight up-charge for the staining because we hadn’t factored it into the original budget, but well worth it in the end.
Here are some process shots but first, one before photo for reference!
It really is incredible how great the original floors have held up with the years of neglect and how awesome they are looking just after the sanding. The upstairs landing and master bedroom are also being refinished but the crew was up there working when I took these. I wasn’t allowed back into the house after the staining so here’s a sneak peak of what things look like now!